Today, data has become the new currency for businesses worldwide. And job roles, anything related to the analysis of data, have become more popular and in high demand. Job roles such as data analysts, business analysts, data scientists sts, and data administrators are critical for any enterprise to stay ahead, be more efficient, and be productive in their day-to-day activities. One of the critical tools used for data analysis in Microsoft Excel, which helps individuals to organize and evaluate quantitative data, which, in turn improves better decision making.
So, let’s understand the best ways to use the Microsoft Excel tool and what are these top 10 Excel skills (MS Excel Formulas) that will help you become a pro. We’ll start from
Top 10 Microsoft Excel Formulas and Functions
1. SUM Function: This is one of the basic functions that has been popularly used in Excel for ages. Through SUM function, it helps one to add values, ranges, or references and mix of all the three. Excel can easily do the math for you, even if you add a column or various rows of numbers. With AutoSum on the Home tab, you just need to select a cell next to the numbers for the total value.
2. VLOOKUP Function: VLOOKUP is one of the advanced Microsoft Excel functions used to look up relevant information from an extensive data set in a new table. This VLOOKUP function can be found in the function tab list, and this will open up a lot of different sets of box options such as range_lookup, table array, lookup_value, col_index_num, and others for you to load the data in a relevant manner.
3. MAX MIN Function: As the name suggests, this MAX MIN function is used to fetch the maximum and minimum values from the selected data range. One has to just enter MAX in the function tab to find the maximum value and vice versa from the primary data table.
4. PIVOT Tables: Understanding PIVOT requires time and once properly understood, it can become of the most useful and valuable Excel functions ever. Through PIVOT tables, one can easily sort, average, and count large chunks of data on a spreadsheet in a new table.
5. AND Function: This AND function on Microsoft Excel is used when there are more than one criteria across variables. If and only the variable matches across criteria, will the value turn out to be TRUE and if it does not match, then the value returns as FALSE.
6. LEFT and RIGHT Functions: Through these LEFT and RIGHT Functions, you can fetch the data in a column from the left side and vice versa. You can easily set the variable or the data to which extent is needed on your new column via various commands.
7. CONCATENATION Function: As the name suggests, you can concatenate or combine two different data from different cells into one cell.
8. TRIM Function: This TRIM function comes in very handy when large unstructured data is collated into an excel sheet. Through this TRIM function, you can easily remove unwanted/extra spaces in the data when copied.
9. CONVERT (): The CONVERT () Function is a very useful Microsoft Excel skill that one must know with regard to converting a particular value into different units. No more checking Google for everything; through CONVERT () advanced excel formula, you can easily convert Currencies, timezones, feet to meters, pounds to kilograms, and perform various other unit conversions.
10. Mathematical Functions: Did you know that you can as well perform various math activities in Excel? For example, you can use various commands for mathematical applications through which you can find the difference, total, aggregate, LCM, GCD, quotient, and more.
In a way, Microsoft Excel has become the go-to tool for students, professionals, and enterprises to sort and manage their data. Microsoft Excel skills have become a de facto standard for various entry-level job openings across industry sectors. So, individuals with Basic to Advanced Microsoft Excel skills will go a long way in securing better jobs and improved responsibilities once hired into an organization. At Spoclearn, we offer various Microsoft courses, in which our Advanced Microsoft Excel training is a popular course for both professionals and enterprise teams that aids in their data analysis manage data towards informed decision making.